Disclaimer: This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here are my own and not my employer's.

Monday 18 July 2011

Deathly Hallows Part 2: A Bittersweet Farewell

Wow… what an emotional journey. Up until last Thursday night, I was sure that I will not be able to watch the Harry Potter finale on Friday night as planned (and fantasized) by me – because of an ugly dispute between the theatre owners and the film distributors.I scoured through discussions about the dispute and vented out my frustration along with many other Potter fans in India.
But I guess, the fans and their pressure won out because out of nowhere the bookings opened and that’s how I opened my day.
image
Let me get to the movie. What’s to tell about the story? The thing about movie adaptations of books is that you already know the story. What remains to see is execution. The story picks up where the Part 1 left off. Right where Voldemort nicks the Elder Wand from Albus Dumbledore’s grave. From there, the movie takes us through an action-packed emotional journey, bringing together all the characters from all the past Harry Potter movies like a reunion like Nymphadora Tonks, Sirius Black, James Potter, Lily Potter etc. We have the trio breaking into Gringotts to steal a Horcrux, then landing up in Hogsmeade and then finally ending up in their alma mater, Hogwarts with all their schoolmates hailing their return.
Yes, I said action-packed emotional journey, because if you come down to it, all in all Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is an action film. Yes, there are some emotional moments like Snape’s story (oh ::sniff:: I was really touched to see the emotional side of Snape, I cried but the tear were hidden behind the 3D glasses), Ron-Hermione kiss (just too good to see Hermione all starry-eyed about Ron in the rest of the movie after the kiss – although I wish this had happened in front of Harry as in the book, but I like this too), Harry’s conversation with his parents and guardians. There were also quite a lot of funny moments in the movie which helped a lot in diffusing the tension in the film
Since I can go on and on reminiscing the film and wishing I can see it again, let me summarize some things I liked and didn’t like about the film.
*SPOILER ALERT* IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED THIS MOVIE, THEN DO NOT READ WHAT’S AHEAD – EVEN IF YOU HAVE READ THE BOOK. THIS FOLLOWING SECTION HAS MOVIE SPOILERS.
Ten Things I Liked – No, Loved – About the Film:
  1. The Rise of Neville – I knew this would happen after reading the book. But the movie just took the rise of Neville to a whole new level, plus a surprise revelation from him which was not in canon.
  2. Helena Bonham Carter playing Hermione disguised as Bellatrix. Kudos to the actress to be able to mimic a bit of Emma Watson.
  3. Snape’s Story – A true story of redemption that had me crying and sniffling. Snape was always my favourite character. But this section of the movie just moved me to the core. I was also in a way glad to see that Ron, Hermione and Harry sad when Snape dies, sad in a manner of mourning.
  4. Harry’s conversation with James, Lily, Sirius, and Remus – Another gut-wrenching scene where the mother in me just broke for Harry. The Boy who never knew what it’s like to have your parents around.
  5. Draco Malfoy actually smiling proudly when sending his son to Hogwarts.
  6. Minerva McGonagall – “I always wanted to do this spell!” My favourite quote in the film
  7. Chamber of Secrets – A pleasant surprise to see that the scene which is narrated in background in the book, is actually shown in the movie.
  8. The King’s Cross scene
  9. Albus Severus Potter
  10. The death of Bellatrix Lestrange and the Molly Weasley’s evil-ish smile
Five Things I Wish I Were Included in the Film:
  1. A little more spotlight on Ron other than the comic moments
  2. Ron-Hermione kiss: Wish they had pictured it in a better manner
  3. The story of Teddy Lupin’s birth
  4. The story of the Dumbledores esp the death of Ariana
  5. Complete scene at the station in the epilogue. I wish they had somehow updated the audience with the what has been happening with all of these characters in the nineteen years that have gone by.
I think I will stop here. Maybe later, I will post something about what I didn't like about this movie. For that, I will have to watch it again. :)

    3 comments:

    1. Am still waiting to watch it. Have been unsure whether to hold on to the images from the book or to let go and let the movie take over.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Well Mukta... As always advised it'd be better to leave your memory in the Pensieve at home, and watch the movie. Although, to the movie's credit, it is the one that is the most faithful to the book.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Haha. The only book-movies I have genuinely liked are the LOTR trilogy.

      It's nice to visit again too :) I came recently, in fact, but left without leaving a comment.

      ReplyDelete