Anyway, let me continue with the "wonderings" part here.
Many minor, yet frequent, emotional upheavals in the past few days have made me stop and think about my own Friend Management system. Yeah, weird (and a rather cold) term for a relationship, I know. But, as I keep ranting on and on (two posts!) about "rules" of friendship, now I find myself eating my own words as I nurse an ambition of helping a friend through emotional turmoil. I gotta face it, I Am Lost!!!! :(
Maybe, I could do some soul-searching and, while I do that, ponder over these points:
- Am I really as good a friend as I think myself to be?
- Am I worried over friends for nothing?
- In other words, am I interfering in my friend's life?
Rrrrrrrrrrring...Time up. I am done thinking and these are the really harsh facts I have to face:
- Everybody doesn't have the same idea of happiness as I do.
- People find happiness in places/things/ideas that might seem strange to me... and I should let them be.
- It is really difficult to love someone for what they are and not what you want them to be.
Note that in this last point, I said difficult and not impossible. So, the battle is not lost yet. I still have hope. To win the battle, I need practice. But before that, I need acceptance.
But, the question still remains.....What should I do? On the basis of the above points, I have the following options:
- Break all ties with my friend.
- Reach out and help. Talk about right and wrong.
- Stand aside. Don't interfere. But always be around.
Plan (1) has been trashed immediately. It is the most ridiculous option ever and should not even be included as an option.
Plan (2)...Hmm....worth a consideration. Nah....been there, done that. Doesn't work. Besides, who am I to tell someone about right and wrong when I myself am in the way towards discovering it?
Plan (3), so far, looks like a sound idea. Not offering any insight unless asked for it. Why do I still stick to my friend? Because, believe it or not, my friend needs me. Maybe, not as much as I think (or want), but yes, my friend needs me.
So, as of now, I think I can just entertain myself with this idea, while I share this with my friend. This, my buddy, is entirely dedicated to you!